Re: [T3] Wiper problems solved

On 8 Dec 2001, at 16:11, Daniel Baum wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. Apropos this circlip; how do you get it off? I tried
> to remove the other one and couldn't. Luckily I didn't have to in the end,
> because I considered my job done when the shaft was rotating freely in its
> sleeve.

I don't quite remember exactly what these clips look like. Some
come off sideways, but others need to be removed axially, to keep
them from becoming non-reusable. Usually the hardest part is to
keep from bending or losing them.

> The shaft that lacked the circlip wouldn't come all the way out of the
> sleeve either, but again I didn't force it because it was rotating freely.

Once you have these this far apart, it is much better to take them
all the way apart so you can pack the space in there with grease.
This is a much better and longer lasting fix than just letting some
oil wick in there.

Most good hardware stores will have a selection of circlips,
perhaps in a slightly different style, but these will work. Sometimes
you can find them in stainless steel, which would be a good choice
here. You should be able to buy several for a dollar.

> If I really did want to remove it, e.g. to replace it, I would probably have
> to hit it with a hammer or something. This one was the original reason the
> wipers wouldn't work. It was completely seized up. It gradually came free
> with WD40, and then I greased it and all the other moving parts and it all
> moves quite freely now.

Once you get it free and get the circlip off it should slide out of the
sleeve bearing easily. If this is prevented by burrs on the shaft you
should file the burrs down carefully.

WD-40 is useful as a penetrating lubricant to get things loosened
up, but it is not much more than kerosene and it will completely
evaporate in just a few days. It is unlikely that by the time you read
this there is any of it left in there. Grease, OTOH, will lubricate for
decades.