RE: [T3] different no start prob

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I am not familiar with the type of pump the fauset pump is
but some pumps will pump until working carb pressure is acheived
(3-6 lbs) then it would shut down because of an internal
pressure switch. To tell you the truth , some electric pumps
out in the market smetimes will not last very long others
last a lifetime. I had boxes of various electric pumps
that were bad, I had alot of american big engine cars.
I do not know if your pump is bad but you must have a
hot wire and a good ground, bad grounds caused 90 percent
of my problems on good known pumps, please place a fuse
rated for your pump (15A ?) you do not want an electrical
fire to light up your gas. If both ground and + power checks
out good using a 12v bulb with wires attached (lights up,
in case you do not know how to use or do not have a multimeter).
Yes , you do have to have your pump below or next to bottom
tank level and max a little over a foot, these pumps do not
prime themselves and will cavitate and not pump when placed
farther away. I would use the pump if the mechanical is not
adequate for big gasguzzling carbs other wise keep it simple and use
the mechanial one .

I would try to see if the mecanical pump works, to me A year
is not that long and VW designed and made long lasting ones.

Test it

- disconnect the ignition coil

- If you want, remove plugs to make the engine turn faster for this

- Hook up the tank side of the pump

- place a piece of hose to the outlet of the pump  and place end in a
container,
  clear glass is better.

- turn engine

Watch the gas comming out, is it clean and is pumping smooth with good
pressure
when finger over hose then it is a good pump, if crud comes out or pressure
seems weak, I would replace it. You do not want the carbs to clog up or the
pump not to work. The crud may be old rubber or dirt, that makes for a not
so good pump.Make sure you have good filters.

This is my 2 cents.

LEON MARTINEZ