Re: [T3] Water soaking my car

On 5 Dec 2001, at 9:20, JSmith3@SARCOM.COM wrote:

> I know this has probably been covered.  But I am having the biggest water
> leak problem.  When It rains my back floor and battery area are getting
> soaked.  This is with the car parked, no driving in the rain at all.  Would I be
> correct in assuming that the water is comming in through the door seals? So my
> question is, anyone no of a temporary fix I can implement until I get the cash
> for the seals?  It seems worse on the passenger side, can I adjust the door in
> some way to make the seals seal better?  Or can you user some other vehicles
> seals, I know this would not be ethical, but...I got to keep it dry?

This is a common problem, cheaply fixed, which almost certainly has
nothing to do with the door seals.

The rear footwells are lower than the fronts, so water that leaks in anywhere
will collect and become visible there. If the water gets in while the car is
simply standing in the rain, the leak is most likely in thru the vents in front of
the windshield. Water that comes in these vent holes is supposed to be
drained out thru water drain tubes which carry it out of the car, but these
tubes get clogged with leaves and dirt over the years. The cure is to pull out
those drain tubes and clean them out.

The process depends on the year of your car. What year do you have?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054