RE: [T3] Mysterious starting problem

On 3 Dec 2001, at 14:29, JSmith3@SARCOM.COM wrote:

> I have this same problem intermittenly (as I have posted).  I have not
> changed the head temp sensor as of yet but all signs point to this being the
> culprit.  I've tried to measure the resistance to verify the problem, but I
> swear it is always different.

Let's make sure that you're measuring the right thing. To do this
you have to disconnect the temp sensor wire and then measure the
resistance between the sensor wire and the engine ground. You
need to make sure that you have a good connection to ground. If
the head is loose, then this won't work, but then you have bigger
problems anyway.

Then you have to make sure you're on the right scale on your
meter; Ohms X10 is probably a good place to be. It is possible that
these sometimes measure differently depending on how you place
the test leads (switching + and -.) I haven't seen this, but if
someone finds it I would be a believer.

That said, the resistance varies with the temp, so some variation is
to be expected. This can be as much as a factor of 10. In general I
find that they are fine as long as they are not shorted or open,
although I have spoken to people who claim that they go
intermittent.