Re: [T3] Top Causes of Exhaust inside car?

On 1 Dec 2001, at 15:52, Pamela Peeples wrote:

> What would you say are the top reasons for getting exhaust inside the
> car? There are no apparent holes in the underbody of the car, deck lid
> over engine is sealed good, and rear door seal is in fairly decent
> shape.  Any ideas?
>
> On a similar but different matter; will old heater boxes get you exhaust
> in the car when the heater is turned on? Do heater boxes go bad??

I suspect these are really just one question, because the most
common way for exhaust to get in the car is with the heated air.
This is not due to a heat exchanger failure in the normal sense, but
rather due to a poor seal between the heat exchanger and the
muffler. Exhaust gas leaks there will spray forward and blow into
the heat exchanger airbox around the rusted away joint where the
exhaust pipe exits the airbox.

The cause of the leak is usually the result of the fact that the OD of
the heat exchanger exhaust pipe has gotten smaller as it has
rusted away, so that the muffler seals don't work well anymore.

I've made some replacement pieces that can be welded onto the
heat exchangers to fix this problem.