Re: [T3] Even Still Can't Get It Rigth With The New FI Parts In -- PROGRESS!!!

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:39:06 -0400 (EDT), Mark Healey wrote:

>Throughout this saga people were telling me to check things that I had
>checked earlier on.  So here is a complete description the problem.  I
>hope someone can come up with something else to check before I start
>spending a bunch of money swapping out parts.
>
>P.O.  had a mix-n-match FI system in there.  I couldn't
>ajust anything right.  I put in all 71 parts and it is alot
>better but still not right.
>

>The problem:
>
>Power and mileage are low and there is black smoke in the
>exhaust.
>
>What I've checked or ajusted.
>
>Fuel Pressuere is 28 psi
>
>Charging voltage is 14.0
>
>Valves are ajusted.
>
>Dwell is set with the feeler guage.
>
>It is timed.
>
>Compression is 100 all the way around.
>
>All spark plugs were blackened.  Now cleaned and gapped.
>
>Idle is 800.
>
>Primary MPS winding is 100 ohms.
>
>Secondary MPS winding is 350 ohms.
>
>Temp sensor 1 is 300.
>
>Temp sensor 2 is some value I forgot but I wrote "OK" in the
>book.
>
>What's left to check?
>
>Someone suggested that the cold start valve or injectors
>might be leaking.  I doubt this becaue it was running lean
>before I put in the new parts.
>
>It was taking a while to start and then ran smoothly.  Jim
>suggested that there was a leak in the fuel lines but I
>think the air got in when I put on and removed the pressure
>guage.

I put in another pressure sensor and the black smoke is gone and it
seems zippier than before.  I haven't given it the Texas Street test
(A good hill to test these things in central San Diego).

An interesting thing.  The one I got from the junkyard yesterday had
some oil dripping out of it when I took it out of the box this
afternoon.  Is that a sign of something that was wrong with the car it
came from or is it possible that the one I had in there had lost some
oil that was supposed to be in there?

Now the bad news.  It seeks at idle.  I suppose I probably have to
readjust it with the new pressure sensor.  And there is a leak in the
fuel lines.  It looks like I cracked the one that goes to the #3
injector when attaching the pressure gauge.  They all look pretty old
and brittle.

This brings up a question I have for Jim.  You were planning to sell
fuel line replacement kits.  I think it fell through.  If it didn't,
I'd like to buy one.  If it did, could you send me a shopping list
with lengths of what diameter and good brand names.

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square
marksvw@healeyonline.com