Re: [T3] Even Still Can't Get It Rigth With The New FI Parts In

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:48:10 -0600, Jim Adney wrote:
>On 30 Aug 2001, at 15:39, Mark Healey wrote:
>
>> Throughout this saga people were telling me to check things that I had
>> checked earlier on.  So here is a complete description the problem.  I
>> hope someone can come up with something else to check before I start
>> spending a bunch of money swapping out parts.
>>
>> P.O.  had a mix-n-match FI system in there.  I couldn't
>> ajust anything right.  I put in all 71 parts and it is alot
>> better but still not right.
>>

>> The problem:
>>
>> Power and mileage are low and there is black smoke in the
>> exhaust.
>>
>> What I've checked or ajusted.
>>
>> Fuel Pressuere is 28 psi
>>
>> Charging voltage is 14.0
>>
>> Valves are ajusted.
>>
>> Dwell is set with the feeler guage.
>>
>> It is timed.
>>
>> Compression is 100 all the way around.
>>
>> All spark plugs were blackened.  Now cleaned and gapped.
>>
>> Idle is 800.
>>
>> Primary MPS winding is 100 ohms.
>>
>> Secondary MPS winding is 350 ohms.
>>
>> Temp sensor 1 is 300.
>>
>> Temp sensor 2 is some value I forgot but I wrote "OK" in the
>> book.
>>
>> What's left to check?
>>
>> Someone suggested that the cold start valve or injectors
>> might be leaking.  I doubt this becaue it was running lean
>> before I put in the new parts.
>>
>> It was taking a while to start and then ran smoothly.  Jim
>> suggested that there was a leak in the fuel lines but I
>> think the air got in when I put on and removed the pressure
>> guage.

>Suck on the pressure sensor: Does it hold vacuum? It should.

OK.

>Try a different pressure sensor.
>
>Try a different brain.

These are the expensive things I was hoping to avoid.  Oh well.

>Do you have a proper matched set of 71 parts? (I can't remember if
>I helped you with these or not...?)

You sold me a throttle valve switch and a pressure sensor to go with
my "E" brain.  If I had the right distributor I could try an "E"
setup, but I don't

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square