Re: [T3] hooking up a timing light

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 18:14, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2001, at 22:30, Russ Wolfe wrote:
> > On Monday 27 August 2001 22:57, Jim Adney wrote:
> > > Hook the red clip to the + term on the coil, and the black clip to
> > > ground. The D+ terminal will have less than 12V on it at idle, so it
> > > might not be enough to run the timing light (they vary, some will,
> > > some won't.)
> >
> > According to the Bentley and Without Guesswork book, the cut in speed
> > of the T3 generator is 1450 rpm of the generator. Cutin voltage is
> > 12.4-13.1. With a 900 rpm engine speed and a 2.3 pulley ratio, that
> > gives an idle speed of the generator of 2070 rpm. Nominal output rpm
> > of the generator is 2000 rpm. Therefore the generator should be
> > putting out at least 12.4-13.1 at engine idle.
>
> Hmmm.... Can't argue with this.  ;-)
>
> I'll have to actually measure it again sometime. I had the
> impression that at idle we were below the cut-in speed and that the
> gen voltage was actually pretty low.

Have you ever seen a T-3 generator light on at idle with properly working
generator/regulator.  Our generator light is a differential voltage system.
If the charging system is equal to the B+ voltage at the light, the light is
out. If either gets unbalanced, the light starts to glow.
You need to have worked on the old 6V systems. We always had problems with
resistance in the wiring causing the "idiot" light to glow, and the customer
would think there was something wrong with their charging system.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org