Re: Thermostat/Oil Cooler (story too long... but useful...)

> On 15 Aug 2001, at 14:23, sml214@casbah.it.northwestern.edu wrote:
>
> > In the next paragraph or so, it was listed what Berg said that cold
engines do,
> > and of those I said that this exact problem - ring and cylinder wear -
is the
> > only one that both exists and is helped by the thermostat.  The other
one that
> > exists is bearing wear due to cold/non-existant oil, but my point was
that the
> > thermostat didn't help this - the pressure relief valve did.
>
> It seems to me that the thermostat plays a significant part in the
> oil/bearing problem, too, by getting the engine, including the oil,
> warm and free flowing as quickly as possible.

The thermostat only cares about the heads and cylinders.  All the
bearing/cam heat is uncontrolled and uncooled.  It is the pressure relief
valve that performs this task.  Open up a 1963-67 Transporter Bentley and
you'll see what I mean - there are 2-3 pages decribing in detail this exact
function.

Take care,
Shad