Re: VIN numbers - In which 3 places do they appear???

On 27 Aug 2001, at 10:35, Dave Campen wrote:

> From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
>
> > On 26 Aug 2001, at 17:40, Matt M wrote:
> >
> > > In which 3 places does the VIN number appear on a Type
> > > 3? On the dashboard, and where else??? And -how can
> > > you find out what year the engine is if the car was
> > > made from perhaps 2 or 3 different-year cars?
> >
> > On top of the tunnel under the back seat
> > On a silver plate in the front trunk
> > On a decal in the L door jamb
> > On a plate on the dash (69-)

> Just to stick my oar in again; if Matt's car is not a US model it will
> most likely only have the first two number positions. The only sticker
> I remember seeing on the door jamb in the UK is "12V".

Sorry, is it true that NO other country got this sticker. I'd just be
surprised if it was US only, but I guess it WAS written in English.

Speaking of English, how about the dipstick? Ours say Oil, but I
think old ones said Oel. Any idea if they actually made different
ones for different markets (different languages?) I don't recall seeing
ANYTHING in the microfilm that mentions different part #s for parts
in different languages.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org