Re: [T3] shortened axles?

On Friday 24 August 2001 10:04, Iamkeen@aol.com wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> Just wondering, having some rainy-day thoughts here...
> What are anyone's thoughts re: stuffing wider tires under your fenders via
> shortened rear axles ?  Labor/cost involved, safety/ride concerns,
> advantage (purely cosmetic) vs. disadvantages.
>
> Anyone have experience with this?  Or if not experience, at least a
> well-reasoned opinion?
> Thanks.

If you are talking about the older swing axles, just get some axles and
housings from an older T-1. these were shorter, but would bolt right in.
Anything '65 and back, if I remember right.
If it is IRS suspension, I would be a little leery of trying to shorten the
axle shafts.
I think Tom Hansen has a way to do it listed on his web page. I am not sure
of the URL.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org