Re: [T3] T3 tow bars?

On Friday 24 August 2001 01:18, Alex wrote:
> TOASTEDT3@aol.com wrote:
> >we've been looking for a tow bar to be able to tow out T3's very short
> >distances and have only come across T1 and T2 tow bars.
>
> ****Beware...a little long*****
>
> When we bought the '70 Squareback, it needed an engine rebuild. It drove
> but was very weak! Just enough to make the 3-5 miles from the PO place to
> my house. Since the car was for my father, he needed to get it to his
> house, which was 20-25 miles away. A little too far to risk not making it.
> So we devised a setup for towing the Square using a Beetle tow bar. Here
> is what we did and it worked quite well:
>
> Thanks for listening and good luck towing!!

One thing to remember when towing a T-3.
If it is an automatic, You should drop the rear axles shafts out of the car.
When you are towing an automatic, you are spinning the govener, that is part
of the differential, but it does not have any lubrication because the
automatic pump in the trans is not working because then engine is not running.
Towing a couple miles at low speed you can get away with it, but for any
distances, the axle shafts should be removed.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org