[T3] Problem with power loss/Hesitation

I seem to be having a problem with power loss on my 72 fastback, but the
problem is intermitten.  Starting is a little rough but not too bad, idles
fine. 1st gear no problem.  Then second comes in with a jerk and a loss of
power for about 20 seconds I have to floor it to get through the lapse.
Then 3rd gear transition is not bad and she runs fine with occasional loss
of power if the gas is not to the floor until speed is reached.
Additionally, the fuel pump is extremely loud at speed and after parking and
opening the engine compartment, the cap on the vacum thing (you know the
black cap that is spring loaded?) has come off.  I'm oviously not that
mechanical so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Jason T. Smith