[T3] engine cuts out

Hello
My wives 73 square has come up with a hiccup. I was driving it the other day
and it just stalls momentarily as if it has lost fuel supply.
I have checked most connections and hot wired the fuel pump to the ignition
(to bypass the relay circuit), but the problem is still there. I have
noticed that the pump is whirring somewhat (you can actually hear it while
driving) louder than usual. It also seems to vary speed somewhat while
idling maybe +- 50-75 rpm and one can hear the pump change rpm in unison
with the engine rpm. I noticed this when I grabbed a hold of the pump with
engine running to check the electrical connector for bad connection. It
seems to whir up and down a bit and the engine follows it.
Could this be a sign of a pending pump failure?
Thanks

Peter Legault
1973 Square FI 1600 Auto (Engine apparently a 1970)