Re: [T3] Late Square roof racks?

On 21 Aug 2001, at 16:54, EricMH313@aol.com wrote:

> I have been wondering (for years) what roof racks were available for
> the late Square, either as factory or dealer installed options.

There were no factory option roof racks that I know of, but there
certainly were dealer installed options. Up thru about 71 they look
like the one you described. Later they changed slightly by adding
cross straps that tied the roof slats together. I believe this was
mainly to reduce installation time, as this meant that only the outer
2 slats were actually screwed to the roof. On the plus side, this
also greatly reduced the number of holes drilled in the roof.

Different styles were most likely available in different markets since
the local importer chose what to make available. I have a
completely different european square rack that actually sits in the
rain gutters and is welded, galvanized steel.

There are probably as many different versions of dealer racks as
there were markets, and then aftermarket racks were also popular
in some places.