[T3] A fate worse than the Darkside? (long)

In my last post I mentioned the fellow selling two Squares ( he says he's not really into VW's...hmm, o.k.)
He told me if he doesn't sell the '66 soon (Jim Adney & others, brace yourselves!), he's going to build a tube frame, mount the Square body on it & fit a Chevy V8 (pardon my language) inside! He apologized to me, sensing some VW purism inside. I said, although I don't really approve (I'll get to that), worse things could happen to it. Consider this: the car is for sale & in a perfect world it would go to someone Type 3 obsessed,(like many of us on the list, maybe even someone on the list) who would tend to it's every need, maybe give it the restoration it deserves, possibly add a few more ponies under the engine lid (in the accepted air cooled fashion) & perhaps most importantly KEEP IT OUT OF THE SALT! The reality is he will probably sell it to the first guy to show up with a decent offer, whether that's Jim Adney or some teenager with a bad driving record & no interest in auto mechanics just into having a cool ride. Whoever buys the car could drive it through tons of road sa!
lt (I love Michigan, don't you?)

, or wrap it around a tree, etc. Or they could take it to a so-called VW shop, like the one I brought my first Square to, who told me "this car is like a dinosaur- you can't find ANY parts for it. Forget about it!" ( I told them "You're wrong! I've been on the Internet & I know otherwise..." this was in '96...) Perhaps through poor maintainence, or worse advice, the car is no longer roadworthy. It could sit for years, the target of neighborhood kid's rocks, a home for rodents, etc. ( I've seen lots of old cars end up this way- including a Square & a Ghia in my area, stubborn owners still won't sell them, though they are way past restorable ). It could end up getting junked & even crushed before a T3'er could pull any parts. ( Belive it- there are not that many of us in the Rust Belt). I think you get the picture. At least a custom car on a tubular frame won't likely end up junked. I for one would rather have a built VW, Porsche, hell even Corvair motor in/on a stock pan. After!
 you whup some Detroit butt at t
he stop light, you can take pride that you did it with a real VW, albeit a souped up one. A VW on a tube frame, with a Chevy V8 is hardly any more a VW, than say a Benz replicar on a VW pan is a Benz, IMHO. Again, all the non-belivers will just think your car is fast 'cause it's sportin' a 'rat motor'. Few fans of American cars realize how fast an ACVW can be made to go, with a stock engine configuration. Well, I suppose I'm preaching to the choir now...
So will one of you please buy this '66 Squareback? :>)
Again, I have no connection to the seller & that # again is 616-651-9259

Later,
Erich
'71 Variant
'72 parts