Re: [T3] another reason why I like VW's

Russ Wolfe wrote:

> My wife drives a '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport.  It took my son and I 2 hard days to
> pull the
> engine and put it back in. Most of this time was spent because the upper bell
> housing bolts are special Torx head bolts, and you couldn't get even the
> Torx's socket on them. It cost me $28 and much running around to find the
> right box end wrench.
> Needless to say I put the engine back with just standard grade 8 bolts.
>
> In the time we spent, we could have pulled the engine and trans from my Type
> 3 and completely rebuilt them.
> VW doesn't use any special bolts, or need special tools to just remove the
> engine from the car, and mostly to rebuild the engine.
> Why can't modern cars be manufactured that way????????????

Russ,

My other car is a 1992 Volkswagen T3 Transporter Syncro van (Vanagon).  Its
engine with its Digifant fuel injection, Hall ignition, coolant hoses everywhere
and in every direction is just impossible for me to fix.  By comparison,1960s and
earlier Volkswagens were dream to service and repair.  So, I fully sympathise
with you.  Even though my other car is still a VW and it is nine years old!

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia