[T3] Mechanical Engineering Reference

While it is not as simplistic as the "for Dummies" books, I can recommend:

Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers
Eugene A. Avallone & Theodore Baumeister III
ISBN 0-07-004127-X
McGraw-Hill, Inc

It is a good general reference that covers all, and I mean ALL, aspects of mechanical engineering.  From space flight to cars to concrete to wood.  It is not cheap, but will look impressive on the book shelf.  My copy is 2 1/4" thick!

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty (Jane)
'66 Square (???)