Re: Thermostat/Oil Cooler (long... but maybe useful...)

On 16 Aug 2001, at 2:06, sml214@casbah.it.northwestern wrote:

> On both halves?  That's interesting... On the late bus "CB" case I have in my
> garage there are no transverse seams on the very top of the left case half.
> I'll inspect my 1973 914 2.0 "GA" case tomorrow morning.  I also have a dead
> early 914 1.7 "EA" case in CA that I can check on.  The other couple I have
> available to me are in IL.

Since the case halves are cast independently and are not a mated
pair until they are machined, it is possible that there were various
mold styles in simultaneous use for either side. This could give rise
to unusual combinations, especially if the casting process or the
moldmaking was undergoing some kind of transition.