RE: [T3] too much mind time (advanced intro to applied mechanics :-)

Lemme see if I have this right.  Since I'm a male and considered an engineer
I'll use a semi-visual :)

              Pressure Wave and Direction
Time Period         Valve   Plenum
     1                  H -->
     2                  L <--
     3                  L -->
     4                  H <--

Is this correct?  Why does the wave suddenly change direction in the plenum?
Why not continue it's travel to the OTHER valve?  And what effect is there
if this wave does continue to the other valve?  Why isn't the wave a high
pressure one in time period 3 and a low pressure one in time period 4 (I'm
thinking simple waves, like in a pond...shows my level of physics :)?  What
about the other pulses that are happening in the intake system, how do they
affect the others?  I have to go to the bathroom, are we there yet? :)

Lastly, for us wanna-be mechanical engineers, can you recommend any books
for us beginners, like Mechanical Engineering for Dummies?  :)  I have two
books on fastener technology (how screws, rivets and such work, where to
place them, figuring out torque, and other completely geeky stuff) but I
need more about material science and fluid, wave mechanics, thermodynamics,
etc. as well.

   Toby "I may look like a geek, but I am one...no, wait...duh-ooh!" Erkson
   air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/