Re: [T3] 1968 Notch progress

On Wednesday 15 August 2001 14:42, Henrik Larsson wrote:

> I have driven a few kilometers to test that everything works and I got
> an annoying sound from the clutch. When the clutch is fully depressed I
> have a schriek, probably from the throw out bearing. I slackened the
> cluth wire and things got better, but the sound still can be heard
> sometimes.
>
> Is there anything else I can do without removing the engine and how bad
> is this noise? The engine probably needs some work in a few 1000 km and
> if the TO bearing will survive until then I can live with the noise.

If you have a '68 pressure plate, with the round center thrust pad, I have
seen them make noise if this pad comes in contact with the center hub of the
clutch disc.  There was a problem years back that some manufactures of disc's
made this hub a little too big on the outside diameter.  You might look for
this if and when you pull the engine back out.
Jim's suggestion for the moly spray lub was a "factory authorized" repair
back in the '60's. Just drill about a 8mm hole in the lower bell housing, and
get as long a nozzle as you can.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org