Re: Thermostat/Oil Cooler (long... but maybe useful...)

On Wednesday 15 August 2001 13:50, Jim Adney wrote:

> Some of the other material on these pages indicates that these
> aren't really alloys at all, but two-phase materials like glass fiber
> and epoxy resin. That's a pretty neat direction to be going!
>
> I hope John J. has been paying attention to all this. Maybe you can
> be designing composite pistons for Ford some day, John.  ;-)

I think if John will check, Ford's pistons are made by Mahle in Tennesee. And
they may already have partial composite material in the skirts. I have some
samples that were brought back by someone from a field trip to the Tennesee
plant, and they have graphite looking inserts in the skirts.

> I agree, pretty neat. All in all, the state of metallurgy is just
> advancing out of the dark ages.

We are just now getting caught up with the dark ages!!!! They are just now
figuring out how Damascus Steel was made. There is an article here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-0108130162aug13.story (may require
registration) of how they are just figuring it out. It is a PHD in metalurgy
and and old blacksmith that are working on it.

> > But all that is speculation.  I am curious to know exactly what
> > their reasoning is...

As a VW mechanic of 40 years, I was around when the AS41 cases were put into
use. We were told by the factory, that they had a higher Silicone content.
This, as we were told was to toughen the case to help with the stud pulling
problem they were having at the time. As they increased the HP and decreased
the emissions, they were increasing the temperature of the engines. This is
also about the time that they started to put the oil coolers external to the
fan shroud of the T-1 engines. the T-1 cooling flaps stayed basically the
same, inside the fan housing, they just rerouted some of the linkage.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org