Re: Thermostat/Oil Cooler (long... but maybe useful...)

On 15 Aug 2001, at 12:17, sml214@casbah.it.northwestern.edu wrote:

> If we assume that VW has their own Magnesium-producing facilities,
> then it is possible that when they heat the concentrated Magnesium
> Chloride salt to past the melting point of Magnesium and perform
> the electrolysis, the molten magnesium is poured directly into the
> mold.  This would be a tremendous amount of savings in energy
> costs... does this seem possible?

Seems quite reasonable to me. It wouldn't even require that VW
own any of this process. Do we know that VW owned the casting
facility, or could it have been done by subcontractors the same as
so much of the other work.

Clearly the final machining of the case could still take place in a
VW facility.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org