[T3] THERMOSTAT / OIL COOLER

I'm really curious as to what good the thermostat is
on our cars.  Wouldn't it just make sense to leave the
flaps wide open and let the air blow through all the
time as hard as possible?

Also, on my car the air intake system has two huge
holes on either side under the rear fenders (probably
from gravel and the like getting launched in there.
Is it neccesary to patch this or will the car run okay
eithout them being patched.  I NEVER plan on driving
my car off road if that helps.

Also, does anybody have any experience with a more
heavy-duty oil cooling setup...?...I plan on driving
my baby a lot over long distances and think this would
be a great addition.  Basically what I'm looking for
is what system will fit and which is best.  I've eyed
CIP and MESA kits, but I don't know if they are for
T3's....?
Thank you,
Phil