Re: type3-d Digest V01 #489

On 13 Aug 2001, at 3:57, shawn barber wrote:

> i'm having a constant problem  in keeping my type 3 alive (72
> square). the car had been converted to dual carbs and was lowered
> before i purchased it.

> the problem seems to be with my fuel and starting the car.

> the car turns over and wants to start, but there is no gas flowing through.
> have to call AAA for the fourth time in three months for a tow, this sucks.
> the tow guy tries to figure it out, checks the fuel filter, sucks out some
> gas with his mouth, but can't solve the problem.

A good choice would be to get a cheap automotive pressure gauge.
(can you still buy those that measure both fuel pressure and
manifold vacuum?) Insert it in your fuel line and have someone
crank the starter. The gauge should go up to something like 3-5 psi.

If it doesn't, you may need to check the pump, or the gas may not
be making it to the pump.

My guess is that the gas tank is full of road dirt because the
overflow hose is broken off. This has clogged the outlet screen in
the fuel pump with dirt and the gas can't get out of the tank.

You can take to fuel sender out of the top of the tank and look
down there with a flashlight. You SHOULD see a clean tank bottom
with a brass filter "sock" sticking up about 3" from the bottom.

You can test the flow by taking the hose off the bottom of the tank.
You should get a pencil sized stream that flows alarmingly fast. If it
just dribbles, that's at least part of your problem.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054