Re: [T3] Exhaust gaskets

Jim Adney wrote:

> The one on my 73 had had the last bit of life squeezed out of it and
> I had the old one from Mike's old engine which still had a year or so
> in it, so that one was in line to be mounted up.

Is it really worth the job to replace the muffler with another that only has
one year left?

> They seemed to be in good shape so I reused them. Not until after
> they were installed did I think that it was unusual that they weren't
> a bit rusty. Could they have been stainless steel wire? Has anyone
> seen these? They seem quite durable and if they work out I'd like
> to find more of them.

When I replaced the muffler on my '64 Notch in 1999 I got the old seals, but
when I ordered seals this year for my '68 Notch I got the new seals. I think
the new seals have replaced the old ones, because a friend bought a muffler
mounting kit for a Beetle and it contained the new seals also.

I don't think that the old ones contain asbestos, because selling asbestos
has been illegal in Sweden since the mid 80s.

Henrik Larsson, Sweden
1964 and 1968 Notches