[T3] Exhaust gaskets

Today I got to do one of my "favorite" jobs: replace a type 3 muffler.
The one on my 73 had had the last bit of life squeezed out of it and
I had the old one from Mike's old engine which still had a year or so
in it, so that one was in line to be mounted up.

In the process of doing this, I was reminded about the seals that
were on Mike's engine between this muffler and his lower heat
exchangers. The ones I am used to seeing seem to be made from
some kind of grey stuff sometimes packed around some metal
strips, but Mike's appeared to be made from some kind of small
wire wrapped around and around and then crunched into the proper
shape. The wire was probably .015-.020" dia.

They seemed to be in good shape so I reused them. Not until after
they were installed did I think that it was unusual that they weren't
a bit rusty. Could they have been stainless steel wire? Has anyone
seen these? They seem quite durable and if they work out I'd like
to find more of them.

BTW, Mike. When I was underneath putting your muffler in, I could
see that the L upper heat exchanger was pretty well rusted thru;
perforated in lots of places. I've never seen one quite so bad. It will
be fine here, but I don't think I'll try to save it next time around. ;-)