[T3] Skinny vs Fat - Stock Tailpipes

What is the history for the late model skinny versus fat tailpipes.  I just
recieved a new one in the mail, compliments of Mr. Adney, and it is
different then the one I have my 73 Square right now.  I currently have a
tailpipe that is very skinney and curves down slightly, while the new one is
fatter and strait.  Greg Gullion checked a parts book and noticed that they
were both stock.  What is the deal with these two versions?
-Matt Small
 www.ocvv.org