Re: [T3] Ethanol in Gas

On Thursday 09 August 2001 00:16, Jedediah Millheiser wrote:
> trust me there is more needed than just that to run
> any alcohol based fuel.
>
> if you run carbs you need special internals for the
> carbs and you need a stainless steel or plastic gas
> tank and stainless steel fuel lines as alcohol will
> corrode conventional steel and will erode certain
> types of commonly used rubber

If you run alcohol, the only thing you need to worry about in the carbs is if
they have older foam floats.
I don't know where all these "wive's tales" come from that alcohol is
corrosive.
I work for a fuel system components manufacturer, and we have never found
that alcohol effects anything other than styrofoam.
We test our components with all kinds of fuels, and combinations of
additives, and do long term tests.
As an example, I have a jar with pure ethanol sitting on my desk with some
o'rings in it that has been sitting there since 1995. (I use it as a paper
weight) There has been no apparent damage to these o'rings in all this time.
They still meet orginal specs.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org