Re: [T3] Clock Resto

On 8 Aug 2001, at 13:08, Plk554@aol.com wrote:

> This is how I do it... about 300+ clcoks so far... several here on
> this page in fact. I am sure Jim does his different than me.

In fact I just fix the solenoid and contact and "fuse" and don't
usually try to clean the works at all. A friend here who works on
clocks, as well as a watch repairman I know, say that while the old
method of soaking and swishing the complete assembly was
standard proceedure for decades, it is not nearly as good as
disassembly and individual cleaning. I suspect that they would look
down with dismay at what I DON'T do.

Then again, to do it right, with a thorough cleaning all the way thru,
is bound to be much more expensive, and at some point you just
have to ask how much this cheap old clockworks is worth....

The fact is that they were never very good, although the late ones
were better than the early ones.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org