Re: [T3] Ground wire? on steering box

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 15:37, jonathan hesby wrote:
> Hey all, I was doing the front brakes on my 69 fastback when while working
> on the driverside front I noticed a wire that was coming down steering
> column(the colapsable part on outside) I was wondering if this is a
> ground(that is what im assuming) and if so what for, just to mention it my
> horn is giving me hell becausewhen I hook it up, it goes of when i turn the
> key, I figured this was because of it was grounding out on the mounting
> point, but when I isolated thew horn from the body it wouldnt go of at a
> l(ie when I was hitting the horn button). Could this wire that looks like a
> ground that is no longer conected be the reason why my horn isnt working.
>                 AS ALWAYS THANKS FOR THE HELP Jonathan

That wire inside the steering column is the wire that goes to the horn
button. The end of this wire should be connected to a connector under one of
the bolts at the flexible coupling. There also should be a ground wire from
the steering gear box to the frame. With out these wires, the horn will not
work properly.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org