Re: [T3] squeaky wheels

On 6 Aug 2001, at 9:51, Russ Wolfe wrote:

> On Monday 06 August 2001 08:01, Mike Wodkowski wrote:
> > whoops. its the rear wheels.
>
> Check the tightness of the rear axle nuts. If these are loose, you will get a
> squeak as you drive. This should be about 250 ft lbs torque. If you don't
> have a torque wrench that goes that high, then get them as tight as you can
> get it, and then a little bit more. Also check your lug bolts at all the
> wheels.

I think it's most likely one of the brake shoes just dragging slightly.
This won't cause any problems unless it gets bad. You can check
the temp of your brake rotors and drums after a long drive. Do this
carefully so you don't burn your finger badly, but if you stop gently
at the end of the ride, none of them should be very hot.

If any of them is distinctly hotter than the rest, then you have a
brake that is not retracting fully. This will need to be fixed or it will
only get worse and wear out shoes/pads quickly.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054