Re: FI pump - rebuild

On Sunday 05 August 2001 14:25, john r wrote:
> what is involved in rebuilding the FI fuel pump.
> Bentley only has two paragragh's detailing service of
> the terminals in the electrical plug.  I have one from
> someone else's parts car, which had not been run in 20
> years.  It smells of serious varnish.  Are there seals
> or valves I will need to replace.
>
> I would like to rebuild this one, then use it to
> replace the one on my car, at which point I would have
> an extra (maybe for sale, after a month or two on the
> old one.!)

They can be disassembled to a certain point. Before tearing it apart, I would
test it. A 12v battery, and a couple coffee cans. I use Diesel fuel for
safety. Put diesel fuel in one coffee can and connect some hoses to the pump.
Put the suction hose in the diesel fuel can, and the discharge hoses in the
empty can. Connect the battery to the pump with some temporary wires. The
pump should work. Run it for a while, and flush any junk out of the pump.
If the pump doesnt run at all, then it is probably gummed up with varnish.
Before disassembley, make some reference marks on the different parts. You
want it to go back together the same as it came apart.
There are 4 screws that hold the pump portion together. Inside this, there is
a rotor with 4 rollers. Do not loose these when you take it apart. Once you
have the pump off, try hooking the motor to the battery again and see it the
motor works. Do not run it very long dry. This motor is cooled and lubricated
by the fuel.
If the motor runs without the pump attached, then clean the pieces and
re-assemble. There are some o-rings in the pump that may need to be replaced.
They are standard o-rings that you should be able to buy from any parts store.
If you have any other questions, contact me.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org