Re: [T3] Mystery wire

On 2 Aug 2001, at 9:57, Shirleyclan wrote:

> Well we had some luck, it's amazing how much better the engine ran when the
> timing was set correct!!!!!!!! I did find an additional problem. The
> centrifugal advance was slow returning to the idle position. So I pulled the
> distributor out to take a look at the fly weights. After some carb cleaner
> and a closer look I think I found the problem.  The two springs are not the
> same size! The bigger spring was too long and a significantly larger gage
> wire than the other spring.  All of the distributor's I have ever taken a
> part had two springs the same size. Any ideas? Is this correct or another
> quick fix by the previous owner? The distributor NR is 311 905205 AF, bosch
> 0231172 011.

Your dist is correct. If you will look at the dist advance charts in the
Bentley you will see that there is a kind of dual slope arrangement
to the late dists. This is due to the fact that they have 2 different
springs and the second spring doesn't come into play until after a
certain amount of advance has come in. You will notice that one of
your springs is "loose" when at rest. This is the way it is supposed
to be.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org