Fwd: [T3] Odd piece

In a message dated 4/29/01 10:20:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
gregm@vwtype3.org writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] Odd piece
 Date:  4/29/01 10:20:04 AM Central Daylight Time
 From:  gregm@vwtype3.org (Greg Merritt)
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 >I didn't know that there were 6V AC units for the type 3. Did you
 >have to convert a later one?

    Todd's is a gorgeously stock, little-old-lady 6V Fastback with AC...

I'm surprised that I didn't recognize the "odd piece" as an AC adapter. I've
got one
on my Type 34. It works fine, although my Type 34 has been converted to
12-Volt. I'm  always apprehensive, however. Every time I fool with anything
in the area of the belts, I habitually have the mechanic try to tighten the
"odd piece". So far, it has always been tight.

The AC never did work right until I had one of those "odd pieces" installed.
The belt always broke after about 50 miles, using a one-belt system. With the
two-belt system,  everything works famously. I hate to disagree with Jim
Adney, but the "odd
piece" arrangement is the only way to go, if you are running an AC.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com

>I didn't know that there were 6V AC units for the type 3. Did you
>have to convert a later one?

    Todd's is a gorgeously stock, little-old-lady 6V Fastback with AC...

    http://vwtype3.org/clubs/sfbay/2001.02.03.redwood/todd66engine.jpg
    http://vwtype3.org/clubs/sfbay/2001.02.03.redwood/todd66.jpg

-Greg