RE: FI problems

On 29 Apr 2001, at 0:59, Charles L Navarro wrote:

> One of my friends thought of maybe installing a fuel accumulator from an old
> vw golf or somthing to maintain the fuel pressure in the lines, since we
> have come to the general conclusion that the fuel pressure goes down to
> nothing and has to build back up before it is willing to start up smoothly.

The reason the pressure leaks down is not because there is not a
big enough accumulator, but because there are leaks. A larger
accumulator will hold the pressure up longer, but if there are leaks
the pressure will still eventually fall to zero. Will you be satisfied if
your hold up time goes from 1 hour to 6 hours? In most cases I
don't think you will notice the change.

If the root cause is hard to find, and it often is in cases like this,
then I would suggest the under dash switch that you can push to
run the fuel pump for a few seconds before you try to start the car.

This switch is cheap and easy to install. Just wire a momentary
contact pushbutton switch from a fuse box terminal that comes on
with the key to the output side of the fuel pump relay.