Re: [T3] Distributor Drive Shaft Problem Is Worse - It's Halfway Fixed Now

Subject: Re: [T3] Distributor Drive Shaft Problem Is Worse - It's Halfway
Fixed Now

> On 28 Apr 2001, at 8:05, Greg Merritt wrote:
>
> > Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your
> > perspective), yes, they do pick up a collection of very fine filings.  I
> > don't want to know where the come from...! ;)
>
> Yeah, that would be the piston rings and the cylinder walls, and
> from the cam and lifters, but the vast majority of wear particles are
> alum from under the valve springs and from the pistons, and dist
> crank drive gear (Brass), main and cam bearings, and the cam
> gear.
>
> I have a manual that mentions an assembly that fits under the oil
> strainer. Is this what you have? I'd love to get one to try for myself;
> does anyone know where to buy one?

That is why they call it "Breaking in an engine". With the air cooled VW's
the factory always recommended changing the oil at 300-500 miles. To get
that stuff out of there. We even did that oild change for free for 'OUR"
customers. And I did for the engines I built at home. It was part of the
price of an overhaul.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/