Re: [T3]Wobbly Steering

On 28 Apr 2001, at 10:31, Herman Haustein wrote:

> I've been considering modeling a thicker -17mm upper Torsion bar to replace
> this one .
> Would I need SS screws to strengthen their grip ?
> Also, what steel would you recommend to use for this purpose ? Engineers ?

I think you will find that a standard squareback upper bar is thicker
than your OEM type 34 bar. Try to find one of those. I have some
here, but I'm a LONG way from you there. Actually trying to make
a bar will be quite challenging; A lot of work goes into picking the
right alloy and then in getting the heat treatment correct after the
machining. I had a 914 customer once who broke a torsion bar. We
found that the aftermarket places only sold bars in pairs, so we
replaced both sides. Therafter I replaced a bar every year as they
continued to break. This was from a company who did this as a big
time business, but were still turning out stuff that was basically
junk.

SST screws are SOFTER than a good hard steel. I think you will
find that your original screw is fine.