Re: [T3] Distributor Drive Shaft Problem Is Worse - It's Halfway Fixed Now

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:18:14 +0100, Dave Hall wrote:

>Maybe he should fasten that rare earth magnet under the case so it can't get
>anywhere bad if there's one in there.  Am I right in assuming the washers
>are steel?

Yipee!  I got the disttributor drive shaft out [DDS].  I had to do
what Jim sugested by going to Sears and buy a reverse plier grabby
thing [RPGT].  They had some neat butane torches there so I bought one
(as well as swaping a couple of chewed screwdrivers).  It is a good
thing I did so because the RPGT wasn't enough.  I had to heat the
metal around the hole to get the DDS out.

The really good news is that the second washer was in there.  It was
pushed foward and I had to bend my telescopic magnetic grabby thing to
be sure I got it without pushing it to where it was ungetatable.

The first washer was bent so I have to get another one tomorrow and
put everything back together.

I am wondering about one thing.  The bottom of the brass gear on the
DDS got a little chewed.  Ther are some small brass filings sticking
on it and I assume inside the case.  They're not deep chunks and it is
only on the bottom mm or so.  Is this anything I have to worry about?

I was kind of looking foward to the rebuild with dread.  I'm sure
there would have been a lot of frustrating steps but once I had it
finised all thing VW would have become clear, and I could have put on
some bigger cylindeers.  Thanks for all the help everybody.

About the magnet, I was thinking about breaking it and sticking a
piece on the end of my oil drain plug.  Is that a good idea?

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square
marksvw@healeyonline.com