Re: [T3] brass ring for steering wheel....anyone....anyone ....anyone

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:48:18 -0700, Hal Sullivan wrote:

>> > I want the recipe!!!!!!!
>>
>>These must be GREAT cookies, but I'm afraid this brass part is a
>>weak link and commonly worn thru on all our VWs. I wish I had a
>>dozen of them. I THINK it is listed separately in the parts list and
>>was still available last time I asked, but the price was about $30.
>
>I've never gone looking too closely at the horn workings, so this may be a
>stupid question ... isn't it a piece of sheet brass?

It's stamped.

>If so, it should be
>possible to make one providing you have one (even a worn-through one) to
>use as a template.

It is sold with the little plastic holder that it is on as a single
unit.  When I had to replace mine the parts place didn't have the
right one but they did have one for another year or another car
altogether where the actual brass part was identical.  I got that for
about $13.00 and scrounged the brass part.

It's also the same as the bug (it was a 71, right?)  You might check
the junk yards for a bug with a severly cracked steering wheel that no
one would want and check it.

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square