Re: [T3] Sneaky Gas Gage

Subject: [T3] Sneaky Gas Gage

> Hi All
> Had a nice hike after lunch
> The gas gage on the '72 Vagrant Variant has been sticking at various
> indications(only when I'm using fuel), the needle doesn't seem to be bound
> up or catching on anything(it wiggles with the vibrations of the car). It
> doesn't seem to involve the sending unit either, the gage will drop to the
> proper reading when I tap on the face of the gage. Is there something I
can
> do to fix this or do I have to send the gage into a repair facility?
> Tom
> '72 Vagrant Variant (that NOW has a full tank of fuel)

My '71 gas gage is flacky too, but I have learned to live with it. My
odometer doesn't work, but I know it is almost extactly 40 miles round trip
to work. After filling the tank, I can drive for 4 days before the gage
starts to drop off of full. After that, it drops to 1/2 pretty fast, and
then I fill up. It will take about 6.5 gallons. If I let it get down to 1/4,
it will take about 8.5 gallons, SO, it is easier to keep the top half full,
than to walk after the bottom half.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/