Re: [T3] Distributor Drive Shaft Problem Is Worse

Subject: Re: [T3] Distributor Drive Shaft Problem Is Worse

> On 26 Apr 2001, at 21:54, Mark Healey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:50:56 -0500, Jim Adney wrote:
>
> If one fell down, it would have done so as you were pulling the drive
> gear up. This is a scary operation and I always sweat bullets at
> this point. I've never dropped one, but I haven't done that many. All
> the cars I've seen had 2 washers and I'm sure the manuals mention
> that, but I'd like Russ to confirm this.

Yes, there should be at least 2 washers under the drive gear. On some
factory rebuilt engines, there were 3. They resurfaced that area if need,
and took off enough to add the third washer and maintain stack-up. The
reason for the 2 washers is this. One washer will turn with the gear, and
one will stay pretty much stationary, next to the case. This gives a steel
against steel wear surface, instead of a steel against aluminum.

> > I'm starting to think that I should take it apart just to be sure.

You might not have to tear it all the way down. Usually, it will be in
behind the oil pump. This means, that if you can get the oil pump out, you
can look in there, before tearing the engine down the reat of the way. You
might get lucky.

> I feel for you. I would do almost anything to avoid being in your
> position now. Of course we know that since your drive gear was in
> there wrong it had been taken apart and reassembled by someone
> who didn't know what they were doing. The most likely possibility
> is that they also left out the 2nd washer, but the consequences of
> a loose washer floating around in there are just too awful to ignore.

If you haven't turned the engine, and you did dropped it, it you might be
lucky, and it is laying down on the cam gear.

> Perhaps Russ has a suggestion about a way to try to fish around
> for it. The problem is: What do you do if you keep coming up
> empty?

I would go for removing the oil pump first, and then go from there. Oil pump
can be removed without pulling the engine, but the fan housing will have to
come off.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/