RE: Battery Tenders

Sulphation killed your batteries,
it is alzhimers for the battery species.
I do not have the chemistry on hand but
could be found on the internet under
battery conditioners or battery sulfation.
I have the following for you on what
I saw at a battery repair shop. In the
states there are no full repair shops
but there are reconditioning shops
that change acid and recharge them.

Old age of batteries I understand may be
due to hardened sulfation on the lead or
lead corrosion or other hardened contamination
on the plates, sometimes it is weakened
acid strength. The bottom line is that
the full strength of acid is not able to
cover the entire lead surface of the
lead plates. Your batteries are suffering from
low current due to the latter causes
unless lots of pieces of plate has worn
down and broken off even thogh they are not
shorted, some manufacturers place the plates
in semipermeable bags to prevent lead from
breaking off and shorting components,
the stuff stays in the bag.

There is a battery rebuild shop
near my house in Tijuana, yes these can be rebuilt
just like they used to be. The technician
would attempt to charge the battery with
a very high current and boosted voltage
charger causing the battery to heat up .
This would knock down and redissolve the
surfur back in the water to make acid.
If this did not do the job then he would
place it on a battery conditioner and
started all over again with new battery acid
 if this did not work then the battery case
would be cut open and all the internals would
be pulled out as one piece from the cover. The acid
would be stored for recycling . The bad, broken
or dirty plates would be replaced. The dirty plates
usually range from black (contamination), yellow-white
(sulfation) or whiteish (hard faucet water, use
distilled water only for refill). The plates that
are contaminated and uncleanable together with the
broken ones are replaced with shop made new lead ones.
Bad lead components are melted down to make new
ones. The molds for these look like grids after
this clay (known as spongy material) is placed
in the grid and then the assembly is placed in
a kiln for clay hardening. Battery is assembled
internally by blow torching, glueing case and
molding new posts with melted lead. New sulfuric
acid is place in battery and charged with high
current chartger to polarize the new plates,
they are all identical and do not know which polarity
they are yet.

This is the inside story of what I have seen.
the chemical formulas I have to dig for are in my
notes under piles of papers strewn about in one of my
basements.

Your batteries can be revived down here unless
you buy your own equipment.

LEON MARTINEZ