Re: Battery Tenders

In a message dated 4/25/01 7:29:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
mikemore@rocketmail.com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Battery Tenders
 Date:  4/25/01 7:29:44 AM Central Daylight Time
 From:  mikemore@rocketmail.com (Mike Morehouse)
 Sender:    owner-VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu
 To:    VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Glen,

 Though I don't need one now, I'd like the info if you
 are passing it to others.

 Thanks,

 Mike Morehouse
 --- Glen Hadley <glenh@www.mebbs.com> wrote:
 > A trickle charger is very easy to put together.
 > They must
 > get $60 for them because they are painted VW red or
 > something.  A small transformer, a diode and a
 > resistor will
 > make one that will do what you need.  If you contact
 > me by
 > p-mail, I'll try to work up the exact values, given
 > the
 > battery size/voltage, if you are interested.  They
 > wouldn't
 > necessarily be pretty, but they'd be good.  (PS--Be
 > sure to
 > keep the name of the thread so I won't delete
 > out-of-hand.)
 >
 > "Paul A. Kagel" wrote:
 > >
 > > they have trickle chargers at harbor freight and
 > they also have ones that work
 > > off of solar power.
 > >
 > > DGaries808@aol.com wrote:
 > >
 > > > I need to buy seven battery tenders, three for
 > 12-volt cars, three for 6-volt
 > > > cars, and one for an electric scooter. Is the
 > outfit that manufactures these
 > > > devices called "Halon
 > > > Marketing USA, Inc.? I wonder if these ole boys
 > will give a good deal on
 > > > seven at a
 > > > time? They sell for $60 each ... that's $420 for
 > seven of them.
 > > >
 > > > I guess what I really need to know is whether
 > Halon is the manufacturer of
 > > > them. Then I can ask for a deal on them. These
 > are supposed to be "trickle
 > > > chargers" to increase the life of batteries.
 > > >
 > > > Don Garies
 > > > dgaries808@aol.com

 =====
 Mike Morehouse
 1972 Texas Yellow Bug Sedan - "Sue"
 1971 Red Karmann Ghia Cabriolet - "Melisande"
 mikemore@rocketmail.com
 Opelika, Alabama
 Ephesians 2:8-9

I have pretty well settled on the Battery Tender brand, even though they are
expensive. What I've found out about them is that Ron Hansen has one on his
1963
bug, and he hasn't touched the battery in about two years (except to take it
off for showing and replacing it after the show). That's exactly what I want.
I heard that one
user had got about 10 years life out of his battery. That's also what I want.
I was replacing batteries on every car about once a year, and I whought there
was nothing I could do about it. The ole boy at Sho & Go also had great
things to say about the Battery Tender brand. The Battery Tender charges the
battery and then shuts off. It comes back on automatically was the battery
gets low and always maintains a charged battery while in storage. In spite of
things I have read about this charger doing so-and-so and that charger doing
this and that, the Battery Tender brand seems to me the way to go. I'm
ordering 7 and looking for about a 10% volume discount.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com