Re: [T3] rings

Sorry, but I have do disagree with this.

It's very possible to first insert the pistons with the rings into the
cylinder (half way - so the wrist pin isn't covered by the cylinder) and
then connect the pistons to the connecting rods.

It is a little tricky to get the clips that stop the wrist pins in place ,
but with the engine out, and a little thought it works.( see that you have
to assemble it in a certain order, so you can each time knock in one wrist
pin and insert the cylinder fully.)

I should know I've done it twice already.
Herman

> >> when putting rings on is a special ring compressor needed for VW's? or
is
> >> regular ring compressor adequate?
>
>     You'll need a ring compressor that dissassembles or opens fully so you
> can remove it once you've installed the cylinder.  Conventional designs
don't
> work for this because they are intended to compress the rings so the
piston
> may be installed into the cylinder; the VW is the other way around.
Cylinder