Re: [T3] Rust

On 23 Apr 2001, at 10:38, Steve Friedeck wrote:

> Yesterday I pulled the engine from the fastback. While under there
> I noticed a lot of rust around the engine compartment. It looks to
> be surface rust with spots showing through peeling paint.
> Everything feels solid. The worst is on top, beneath the mat that
> surrounds the engine lid. It feels solid but there's flakes of rust
> sitting loosly on top of the metal and looks to be pitted quite a
> bit. I dont know what to do here and am open for ideas. Also, the
> left fender well has a section that should be replaced.
> Is this hard to do?

The first thing to check is whether the cover plate for the FI brain is
correctly installed. It is common for these to be put in wrong so the
lower spring fingers don't hold the bottom of the cover tight against
the body. This leads to leaks and rust on the floor.

If the fender well has rusted thru then this may be your problem.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054