Re: [T3] Steering wheel ect....

Hey dave,
the horn works fine if i remove the horn ring and ground the wire that
connects to it to the brass ring that the horn ring is suppose to touch
when it is depressed. i cleaned all of the contacts under the steering
wheel and applied a little light bulb grease. everything there is in
order as it should be. when i press the horn ring in i measured with my
multimeter for a complete circuit from the bottom brass ring on the
steering wheel to the center of the wheel that connects to the steering
column. nothing! so i am sure that the ring is not contacting where it
should. i tried to look under the ring when i pushed it down and it
seems to be about 2 to 3 mm from hitting the brass ring to complete the
circuit.
the part number on the steering wheel is 311 415 615 D. Let me know what
you think, for this is the last thing that i need to fix to get the car
ready for state inspection.
thanks much,
jesse
ich haben drei deutsch auto...
97 jetta trek
87 golf gt
71 fi squareback

because when i push the horn ring it is not able to contact the little
> brass contact ring on the steering wheel...hence the reason for no
horn.
> the part number on the horn ring is 113 951 531F. is this the correct
> horn ring for a 71 squareback?

The horn ring part number is fine for 1971; if it's a poor fit, is it
the
wheel that has been changed?  I've had problems with dirty surfaces on
the
contacts.  The brass ring maintains contact with the brass spring on
indicator switch as you steer - does it hoot if the steering is turned
as
you press the horn bar?  If the steering column earthing is OK, which
sounds
OK from what you say, it must be to do with the geometry of the contacts
or
their surface condition - are the screws tightened evenly?

Finally, is the column switch collar in the right position - there
should be
a small gap between it and the wheel - maybe it's too large a gap for
the
spring contact to touch the brass ring (mine's a bit close, and on heavy

breaking the horn sometimes sounds).

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club