[T3] Distributor Drive Shaft Question.

Now that Leon got the car running and showed me what to do I decided
to do a proper repair on my formerly dead car.

I bought a new distributor clamp.  When I went to put it in it turned
out that the drive shaft for the distributor is placed in about 90
degrees out.  The P.O. had dealt with this by rearranging the spark
plug wires.  I'd like to place it correctly.  The manuals look like
all I have to do is fish it out with a magenet and replace it.

I need lore.  Are there any small parts I should be looking to catch
before they fall into the case?  Can I do this with the engine in the
car?

Thanks

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square