Re: [T3] Newbee needs help

On 19 Apr 2001, at 21:16, Joseph M Evans wrote:

> I just bought a '71 fastback and it was running poorly!!!!

71 was a very good year.

> The 3/4 head was loose
> from over heating so I tightened it and re adjusted the valves. All
> four pistons seem to bee firing now and have compression.

Did the head studs all take torque okay?

> The problem is that it still has NO power under load. It sounds
> great but no go. I have pulled the d-jetronic wire harness and am
> going to replace several wires if not all of them(they look very
> warn). The rest of the efi parts check out ok if this doesn't work
> I will have to start looking for carbs. More money than I want to
> spend right now but I need to get it legal as a run around car.

Be very careful with the harness. Do repairs carefully as necessary
but don't just replace a lot of things that are dirty but still functional;
you can't make a crimp as good as the factory one.

You really should start with the ignition system. The most probable
problem is that your mechanical advance mechanism is frozen in
the distributor and you're getting no advance. Check the timing and
both advances to make sure that they are working right, then look
for things that your previous owners have messed up in the FI.

Get a Bentley type 3 manual.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org