Re: [T3] Newbee needs help

Joseph M Evans wrote:

> The 3/4 head was loose from over heating so I tightened it and
> re adjusted the valves. All four pistons seem to bee firing now and have
> compression. The problem is that it still has NO power under load. It
> sounds great but no go.

You mentioned that it overheated, I have once experienced this on a Beetle.
It overheated because of loss of oil (it had a small leak in the case joint)
and the pistons finally seized in the cylinders. While it started and sounded
nice when chilled and refilled with new oil, it's 40 hp was down to about 15.
The bores or piston rings were completely worn out and it had almost no
compression.

> The rest of the efi parts check out ok if this doesn't work I will have
> to start looking for carbs. More money than I want to spend right now but
> I need to get it legal as a run around car.

Dont expect that carbs is the golden solution when it may be a waste of
money. When you mentioned that it overheated, there is a reason for exactly
that. Check the things that Russ mentioned but also check that the cooling
system is unblocked and that the large rubber bellows are ok, so the engine
only sucks in fresh, cold air. Check everything you and us as a group can
come up with before you plunk down money for carbs! Timing, compression,
everything.

PerL
73 Variant L